Thursday, July 4, 2013

Technical - Tangents and Composition.

Greg was the director of my portfolio school.  He warned me repeatedly about lines that lead out of the image. Earnestly and sincerely, he spoke to me. 

He also told me about framing the shot and keeping the viewer's eye inside the composition. The rule of thirds is the biblical standard in Photography and it's a fine standard. It is. 

He spoke of Tangents and Lines that Exit the Framing. He spoke of many cardinal rules all of which I dutifully learned.

Because it's true that you must know the rules to understand how best to break them.

I like shots that lead the viewer's mind out of the image. I don't like to trap them inside my mind.

 I want to find that moment that takes the mind's eye on a private tour of its own imagination. 

This image is a dried leaf on razor wire on an abandoned graveyard gate. It always makes me want to look over the gate. It sparks my mind to ask... why is it abandoned and exactly who does the razor wire keep out... or in? It gives birth to the metaphors of the ways we cling to life and the ways we dishonor the ones who have trod life's paths before us. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I hate my picture! What next??

She hated this photo.  My portrait packages present you with a beautiful box of portraits but let me warn you.... at first, you will abs...