Friday, June 28, 2013

Principles: In Camera or In Photoshop.

When I was first taught about cameras, there was no such thing as photoshop or digital darkrooms. You had a real room that was dark or you had a good relationship with a lab.

This is one of the first pictures I ever took. It was with a Polaroid Swinger. It was THE coolest point and shoot of the times. 


When I was taught photoshop, I fell in love since I've never been fond of rooms that are dark. I learned all I could but, during the process, I also learned something unexpected. 

Just because it CAN be done in Photoshop doesn't mean it SHOULD be done in Photoshop. 

It's not about being "honest to the spirit of photography" or  being"old school" since I view Photoshop as just another tool in our quest to capture images...no different than a lens or a tripod. 

The reason I stand by my claim that doing it "In Camera" is important? 

It's you. 

It's about stretching your mind and body. It's about learning patience. 
It's about handling surprises and rising to the occasion. 

In Photoshop, you get to control everything.
In life, you don't.

Sudden rainstorms or forgotten bug spray can demand an immediate opportunity to punt. 
Only then can you test yourself... get out of your box of comfort and learn to make a good shot out of whatever the fates determined would be your lot. 

These things will not be learned in Photoshop. 
And the more you learn, the more you come into your own and the more you understand, the better your work becomes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hate my picture! What next??

She hated this photo.  My portrait packages present you with a beautiful box of portraits but let me warn you.... at first, you will abs...