Monday, June 17, 2013

Assignment: House on Haig Point.

When I'm on location, I try not to take a lot of extra equipment... or people. Maybe a stylist or the interior designer. 

I do take extra lenses, usually four. I use available light whenever possible. I bracket and manually combine those shots. I'm not a fan of HDR. After a tour of the building, I have usually requested in advance to be left alone to roam freely. I make several passes with the different lenses. Tilt and shift, wide angle, and macro are usually in my saddle bag. Depending on the size of the place, it might take me 3 or 4 hours with more work in the digital darkroom. I'm always looking for the story. If I'm not writing the piece, I like to discuss the writer's slant so I can make sure to get a shot that reflects the tone of their article. 

The home on Haig Point is on a small island, accessible only by boat, off the coast of South Carolina. Like me, the owner is in love with arches. The home is a study of arched ceilings, windows and doorways. I seem to believe with some left-over child's delight that there is some secret magic in arches, so the home was a wonderland for me. To read this article and see a few of the shots, click this link. 
http://www.coastalisles.com/2013/07/11/a-place-in-the-sun/


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hate my picture! What next??

She hated this photo.  My portrait packages present you with a beautiful box of portraits but let me warn you.... at first, you will abs...